Thursday, March 26, 2015

MY JOB DESCRIPTION




From my last post, I talked some of there experiences I have faced as being a CNA. I never  thought that I could do this job but I actually enjoy it. I love being able to take care of people. I love building relationships with them as well. Working as a rehab CNA, I experience the changes of incoming and outgoing of patients. A patient can stay a maximum of up to 100 days or stay one day depending on the type of therapy needed for them.  My biggest smile comes from the accomplishment of a patient. My biggest frown is seeing them leave. I will talk about my job on what I do on a daily basis.

I wake up roughly around 5:00 am to be at work at 6:00 am. I start my day as some and clock in. ( I hate our time clock by the way, its one of those ones that read the hands. Mine never reads) I go to my neighborhood (unit) which is called Renaissance Way (I think it sounds tough). I grab my CNA worksheet which gives all the information (bath days, daily weights, transfer mobility and so etc...) of all my patients. I go on to get report (information about the patient from their shift)  from the previous shift. Then I grab all of my wash cloths and towels to go to each room to clean my patients up. Since I work first shift, most of my patients on my assignment want up for breakfast which starts at 7:30. I have to have them all down there by that time so I can help with breakfast setup. There are the patients that are in their rooms that would rather have their breakfast served to them in their rooms and they get breakfast trays. After breakfast, I finish cleaning up the rest of the patients that I couldn't get to, I shower the ones that are due for theirs, and make sure everyone has used the bathroom. Rehab unit is a more demanding because the patients are call light happy needing things over and over. Theses patients come straight from the hospital needing therapy on either their replacement knees, hips, arms, etc..  Some patients had strokes that learn to walk again. Patients that have heart attacks learning to be stronger again or simply just in rehab for speech. I get to meet all types of people and I love seeing their progress but there are those who do give up and they have to be sent to a long term care facility. Anyways, after breakfast and all their showers and their bowels have moved, they get ready for lunch. Lunch is done the same way as breakfast and they are laid down to rest if they want to afterwards. During the whole day, these patients receive their therapy (physical, occupational or speech) so they are pretty worn out. Then its time for the next shift and I give them report.

This is a catheter bag being empties for the patients that can't
get up and go to the bathroom. I currently have two patients
with these. We record their output.

These are bedpans. These are used for the patients that
have hip fractures.

This is a hoyer lift. These are used for the patients who can't
walk or are too weak to walk.




This is a gait belt. These are used for patients that need
assistance on standing or walking.


These are some of the things that I use on a daily basis. To learn more about what a CNA does please visit http://nursinglink.monster.com/education/articles/3787 .





No comments:

Post a Comment